Saturday, November 17, 2012

Social Network

My friend Eddy recently wrote a post about un-friending people on Facebook(check it out his blog, Gallantteddy). "Why is it so hard to un-friend people?" He asked. I personally have never un-friended anybody, as I don't have many friends to begin with. But, I can definitely see his point. Here is his criteria for un-friending someone: I have no clue who you are, your page is de-activated, I don't really talk to you, I haven't seen you in years, we differ completely in opinions(this one I disagree about), your posts can get excessive at times, and who are you again? I'm sure that some of the people that Eddy un-friended probably got offended, but I ask you why? You know you don't really talk to most of your "friends" on Facebook anyway. Ok ok so you talked to him one time in fourth grade. Big deal.   

People take Facebook relationships way too seriously. This kind of reminds me of a Seinfeld bit where he talks about the phone machine and you can draw some parallel's between the phone machine and facebook.  In this bit Seinfeld says "the phone machine(facebook) is like a relationship respirator keeping these marginal brain-dead relationships alive." He also goes on to say, "It's very important for human beings to feel they are popular and well-liked amongst a large group of people that we don't care for." Spot on Mr. Seinfeld. You're observations really do transcend time. Check out the clip for yourself: Phone machine/Facebook   There's a kind of love and hate relationship with Facebook and social networks in general. Most people that use Facebook say they hate it, but their actions say otherwise.    

No comments:

Post a Comment